Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Proposal Story!

Oh yes. The proposal story. The most beautiful moment of a woman's life where she starts her journey into "Mrs-hood". Many people see the perfect proposal as one with these characterists...

1. Sunset at a scenic location (beach, mountain top, ect.)

2. Music that seemingly comes from nowhere (because bands can be creepy)

3. Everyone involved looks gorgeous (bride has her hair curled and make-up on. groom has on that shirt he only wears for special occasions)

4. The man on his knee has a wonderful speech prepared (that he can get through without the proposee interupting.)

5. A descrete photographer that captures the moment while also knowing your good side.

My Proposal wasn't like that at all. In fact, it was the craziest and fastest moment of my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

It was New Year's Eve, welcoming 2016. For weeks, my then-boyfriend and I were joking back and forth about getting engaged. (i.e. When we would get in the car to go run an errand, I would look at him and say "So we're on our way to my surprise proposal, right?") I was only torturing him because I didn't think that we would have a proposal until the next summer at the earliest. With this information, now I can share a timeline...

4:00 pm- My boyfriend grabs his computer and sits on the couch "trying to act normal" and I start working on his sister's hair. She was going to a party with her friends (including my little sister).

5:00 pm- Boyfriend is still sitting on the couch. I say goodbye to his little sister and expect to see her the next day,

6:00 pm- 11:55 pm - Boyfriend is still sitting on the couch and I pass the time playing Sims.

11:56 pm- Boyfriend's mother asks me to join her in the kitchen. (While boyfriend's father sets up a camera.)

11:58 pm- Boyfriend's mother is still looking at me as if she can't find the words to say (she couldn't). Our sisters, 2 of their friends, and boyfriend's cousin run into the house saying that something happened at the party and it was too awkward to stay.

11:59 pm- We grab our glasses and prepare for the countdown.

Midnight! Happy New Year! We have our New Year's Kiss and while we kiss he digs into his pocket and takes out a ring! I look at the TV and back to him to see him on his knee. I gasp and start to cry. I didn't even say yes until the next day!

How it wasn't perfect:

1. We weren't at the beach or on a mountain, we were in his parent's living room.

2. The only sounds were my gasps and cries over the Dick Clark's New Year's Special.

3. I wore house shoes, no make-up, and leggings - I wasn't looking photo ready.

4. My fiance didn't prepare a speech (he knew I wouldn't let him speak)

5. The photographer was the camcorder hidden on the shelf and our sisters stood in front of it. I will have to make a post about the video, it's amazing.

But it was perfect for me. My relationship isn't perfect but we find the beautiful in the flawed and we love our imperfect life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment