Saturday, January 16, 2016

You're Very Sweet... But I Don't Want You to Pay for My Wedding.

I know that when people offer to "help out" with wedding costs they are doing so out of the kindness of their hearts but I really cannot accept.

I've always had an issue with being offered handouts but where a wedding is concerned its a REAL issue. Never in my life have I borrowed money that I felt good about. If I had trouble paying bills, I would sell some of my clothes and gadgets. Why would I want to borrow money for the ceremony that says that I'm old enough to get married?

The fiance and I are planning to pay for the wedding ourselves. There might be help from my mother for the traditional things (dress, ect.) but mostly this is our affair. We always wanted a small wedding (and I'm quite partial to eloping) so having something small and intimate is at the top of our wishlist.

Because the wedding will be small, we will not be inviting everyone we've ever met. The only friends (and distant family) invited will be the ones that we both share memories with already. If people only I know or he knows tries to give us money it would be like they're buying a ticket to the most beautiful day of our lives. And that makes me cringe. I care very deeply about me friends and "once-I-knew-ya"s but this isn't just MY wedding. It's a union of me and my fiance and the life we're building together (and that includes the people we surround ourselves with).

Our wedding is be extra beautiful because we WORKED for it. We are picking up new jobs and making decorations. I don't think it would mean as much if we "sold tickets" and missed out on this opportunity to work together.

With 18 months to save and spend, we can do it. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment